9 Oct 2011

Let there be butterflies!

My LSS had a scrapbook challenge this week to not use any patterned papers & create our own "patterned papers" from any form of mediums.

I decided to break out my newly bought studio calico butterfly masks for use with my tattered angel glimmer mists! (I'm recently obsessed with mists and inks.. oo the versatility!!)

So with my one set of masks, I started my first attempt.. and this was the result. Yucks! Evidently i'm not skilled enough in mediums to block off one area while misting another to create a uniform layer.


Short of running out to my LSS to purchase a few more sets of masks (which is totally against my scrapbook supplies ban this month) there was nothing I could do.. or was there?

Remembering the stack of thick transparencies I bought on a whim from another crafts supply shop, I decided to try to replicate the masks a few time! After tracing the original masks on some scrap paper multiple times, I used some glue to glue my thick transparencies on the scrap paper around the butterfly (making sure not to let the glue touch any bit of the butterflies) and cut them out!


This worked like a charm and now I had enough butterflies to create my background (and wayyyy more butterflies than i started with!!)
The butterflies at the top are the actual studio calico ones and the ones at the bottom are those i cut out!
Here's a quick look at my final background!


The rest of the layout came together really quickly, and I barely broke out any other supplies..
I outlined all the butterflies with a black pen (have you guys used staedtler pens/markers?? they're really awesome!!), tried using a reverse mask from a punched out butterfly (didn't really like the effect but oh well), photo mat was from the packaging of the butterfly masks, stuck down some random pieces of lace laying around, used stickers from cosmo cricket and I punched out even more butterflies from scrap pieces of cardstock (coloured & misted).


Long post from me today! Hope you found the mini tutorial on how to make your own masks useful!

0 comments:

Post a Comment